- 1 3 1/2 – to 4-lb. chicken, cut up into pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 head garlic, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup farro or spelt
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yuzu kosho (optional)
- 4 cups watercress, thick stems removed
How to Make It
This season is chicken with salt and pepper. First, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Sear chicken, skin side down first, until golden brown on both sides, 10 – 12 minutes per side. Now transfer chicken to a plate.
Stir garlic and farro into pot. Cook until garlic and farro begin to toast, 5 – 8 minutes. Add vinegar, yuzu kosho (if you want), and 4 cups water, scraping up any bits on bottom of pot. Now bring to a simmer.
Return chicken to pot, skin side up, and cover. Reduce heat to medium-low gently simmer until chicken is falling off the bone and farro is tender but not mushy, about 90 minutes. Stir in watercress before it to your guest serving.